Thursday, October 23, 2008

Menu Planning

I've always thought about meal preparation in advance . . . okay, I do have those days/weeks where I'm planning the night before or the day of, but for the most part, I plan ahead and am prepared! I enjoy knowing what I'm going to be cooking and want to make sure all the necessary ingredients are on hand.


In early 2003, while pregnant with my third, I had time to check out Flylady at http://www.flylady.net/ and chose to incorporate quite a few of her suggestions. At this point, I've taken what was useful and tweaked her advice to fit my situation (the schedules have been adjusted to meet the needs of our growing family, too). Since then, Wednesdays have been my planning and office day: menu planning and grocery list updates, office work and bill paying, calendar check with my husband and written correspondence.


Planning 1 or 2 weeks in advance works best for our family. Any longer and I've found that too many leftovers that go to waste. An 8.5x11 inch sheet of paper folded in half , six-hole punched, and kept in a small binder is what I prefer. The front side has a weekly schedule with 4 columns (date & day of week, breakfast, dinner/lunch, supper) and 8 rows (dates covered by menu and a row for each days' meals); the back side is a lined grocery list. The schedule is easy to make in either Word or Excel, then copies can be made as needed.


Usually, I try to make the new meal in the evening and have leftovers for dinner/lunch the next day. We are busiest in the morning, leaving less time to prepare a meal (unless it's sandwiches or something in the crock pot). Thus far, I haven't chosen to save my menus. They are based on what we have on hand, what's on sale, and what's in season. I do keep a list of recipes and recently asked each child to help compile a list of their favorites & least favorites.

This is the menu we've been using and will use from October 19 - November 1 (we usually add biscuits, salad or veggies to the main dish):


October 19-25
Sunday
Dinner: Local Church Dinner
Supper: German Supper at Grandma and Grandpa's Church


Monday
Dinner: Leftovers
Supper: Chicken Enchiladas


Tuesday
Dinner: Leftover Chicken Enchiladas
Supper: Barbecued Meat Loaf & Baked Potatoes


Wednesday
Dinner: Sandwiches
Supper: Leftober Barbecued Meat Loaf


Thursday
Dinner: Veggie Soup
Supper: Leftover Veggie Soup


Friday
Dinner: PBJ Egg salad sandwiches
Supper: Egg salad sandwiches


Saturday
Dinner: Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwiches
Supper: Pork Chops & Stuffing


October 26-November 1
Sunday
Dinner: Local Church Dinner
Supper: Brats


Monday
Dinner: Chicken Rice Soup
Supper: Leftover Chicken Rice Soup


Tuesday
Dinner: Sandwiches
Supper: Taco Soup


Wednesday
Dinner: Sandwiches
Supper: Leftover Taco Soup


Thursday
Dinner: Leftovers & Clean Out Frig!
Supper: Stuffed Baked Potatoes


Friday
Dinner: Pizza
Supper: All Saint's Day Party - Potluck Soup Supper


Saturday
Dinner: Eat out in Town
Supper: Eat at FB Game

1 comment:

Jamie Jo said...

It is so nice to plan out 2 weeks of meals, it helps to feel so organized and ready, things just flow better when I plan.

My hubby is on a no to low carb diet though now and it's hard!!! It's hard to cook normal for the kids (and me) and make him what he needs!