Thursday, August 25, 2011

Planning meals & MSCD

 

As we look to start school after Labor Day, it’s also time to start up the menu planning and plan for a Mini Session Cooking Day (MSCD) while I still have time.  I planned out five week’s and left plenty of room for leftovers.  With Dash gone at supper time for football practice, it’s challenging to adjust the quantities appropriately!

Once school starts, free time for cooking disappears and it’s so nice to have a few home-made meals in the freezer to pull out on crazy days (you know the ones where you planned to be done at 2pm, but are still there at 5pm for some unknown reason??).

Monday was my opportunity for a MSCD.  I planned it out the night before and chose recipes for which I already had ingredients on hand.  This is what’s in the freezer (or frig or pantry) today…

2 gallons Italian Sausage Soup

2 gallons Taco Soup

2 dozen Meatballs

2 quarts Mexican meat filling

1 loaf Chocolate chip Pumpkin Bread (one was eaten, the other is on the counter!)

2 dozen Chocolate dipped Peanut Butter Balls*

2 dozen No-Bake cookies

2 quarts Taco Rice

10 bags Brownie mix (each makes an 8x8 inch pan)

Dash made the Brownie mix and prepared the peanut butter balls for dipping.  That helped sooo very much.  Some of the recipes are on my blog, others are available for free (some after joining) on the website of 30 Day Gourmet. 

*These are so easy and absolutely yummy.  Great treat for harvest time lunch boxes when the guys want something candy-like, but I don’t want to pay the price for candy.  I had about half of a White Chocolate Flavor Ghirardelli candy making and dipping bar (2.5 lbs purchased at Sam’s Club during Christmas season) leftover.  I used half (so a quarter of the package) for the recipe.

No comments: