Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Crispy Almonds

My mom (Grandma Golden Acres) has made this recipe many times, and all of us enjoy this nutty snack when we are home to the farm for a visit. The almonds are crunchy and and the sea salt brings out the wonderful almond flavor. I purchased almonds in bulk from the food coop in late January with the intention of preparing them my mom's way. Of course, that is just now getting done, too!


Crispy Almonds
Yield: 4 cups

4 cups almonds, preferably skinned*
1 tablespoon sea salt
filtered water

Mix almonds with salt water and soak in a warm place for at least 7 hours or overnight. Drain in a colander. Spread on a stainless steel baking sheet or pan and place in a warm ove (ideally 150 degrees) for 12 to 24 hours, stirring occaisionally, until completely dry and crisp. Store in an airtight container.

*While skinless almonds are preferred, my mom and I both used almonds with skin on. The results are still wonderfully crisp

NOTE: My mom usually doubles the recipe, so I made my first batch this way, too. If you are going to have the oven on for that long, you may as well make it more worthwhile! Also, while the recipe recommends 150 degrees, my oven's lowest temperature is 170 degrees. This worked just fine, without any ill effects.

Soaking the almonds in sea salted water - add enough water so that there is about 1/2 to 1 inch of space. The almonds will absorb the liquid and expand.

Crisping in the oven.

Every time I stirred the almonds, I grabbed a few. I wanted to experience and taste how they changed throughout the day. This is a great healthy snack.

2 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

You have the neatest things on your blog!!! Those look so delicious!!

Kimberly said...

I tried your chocolate cake with the peanut butter frosting...it was SO GOOD! It was great for a couple of diet-starved grownups! Our kids loved it...Gabriel had 2 pieces! I will definitely be making it again...thanks so much!