Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

This is a recipe from my youth. It's one of my 4-H baking entries from the 'Be a Better Baker' project. Who knows how many times I made this coffee cake to get the 'just right' look for Achievement Days. The coffee cake in my pics was in the oven a bit too long, so it's darker than I would have liked. But, since I'd been craving it, the texture and taste hit the spot anyway. It looks prettier when baked in a bundt pan, but I have to be much more careful in greasing the pan. The two-piece tube pan is a big time saver for me.


I usually prefer not to add nuts to my baked goods, but today I was in the mood and added pecans. Pecans add just a little crunch and a buttery flavor. This coffee cake has a lighter texture and does freeze well.

SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE

¾ cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1 ½ cup white sugar
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ cups dairy sour cream

FILLING:
½ cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease tube or bundt pan. Combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Alternately mix in the dry ingredients with the sour cream. Spread 1/3 of the batter in the pan and sprinkle ½ of the filling mix over top; repeat twice. Bake for 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.


The coffee cake is fine as is, but you could top it with a dollop of whipped cream or cool whip to dress it up.

3 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

When I think of coffee cake, I always think of inviting neighbors over for cake and tea!

This looks delicious!

Jamie Jo said...

Why is a 2 piece pan easier, do you not have to grease it?

Bundt cake pans are hard to grease!

Suzie L. said...

You still need to grease the pan, but it's easier because the side, bottom and innter tube are smooth/flat. Therefore, you can slide a thin metal spatula around the sides and lift out the cake with the bottom. Next, I slide the spatula around the pan's bottom and inner tube. Tip it over and the cake slides off the center tube. You've seen these I'm sure - I forgot to mention some bakers refer to the 2-piece pan as an Angel Food cake pan.