Friday, March 6, 2009

The Chai Experiment

You all know I like Chai tea! My favorite brand is Tazo - that's what Starbucks uses to prepare their Chai Tea Latte and this used to be a sometimes (okay, probably more like -at least- weekly) treat when we lived in town. Often, when Eric had early morning meetings, he'd bring back a cup for me. He loves to do those little things - and I love him for it!

Since we moved about a 100 miles from the nearest Starbucks, I’ve been buying Tazo Decaf Chai. It’s a decaffeinated spiced black tea latte concentrate; you can also buy caffeinated. I don’t need the caffeine. Anyway, today I though I’d experiment because I also buy the Tazo Chai tea in tea bags. Same brand – should turn out to be approximately the same thing if I add milk and sweetener… right?? Well, that's what I'm counting on in this mini-mixing experiment.


The extras in the concentrate amount to cane sugar, honey, ginger juice, natural flavors, vanilla and citric acid. I happen to have cane sugar, honey and vanilla in my pantry. I figured the ginger isn’t necessary, because it’s already included in the tea mix. The natural flavors I won’t worry about, and the citric acid is most likely for preservation – which I don’t need, either. To prepare the Chai tea from the concentrate, you mix equal measures of the concentrate and your choice of milk (or milk substitute); and then heat the mixture in the microwave. I always use whole milk because I like the smoothness of the drink and I think it tastes better.


Earlier this morning, I brewed a cup of Tazo Chai tea. By the time I made the latte, my tea had cooled, but I’ll reheat it. So, equal amounts of Tazo Chai tea and whole milk mixed in a mug. I added about ¼ teaspoon vanilla, ½ teaspoon honey, ½ teaspoon cane sugar. (The cane sugar I’m using is called Sugar in the Raw® Natural Cane Turbinado Sugar From Hawaii. I’m sure the cane sugar could be substituted with white sugar or stevia, but I have it on hand and may as well use it.)


The result is very close to what I enjoy from Starbucks. It is more economical than purchasing the concentrate, and if I save half the of brewed tea for later or the next morning - I'm ahead even more! Here's my recipe...


Tazo Chai Tea Latte
Yield: 1 mug

1/2 mug (about 1/2 cup) brewed Tazo Chai tea - either decaffienated or caffienated (whichever suits you!)
1/2 mug (about 1/2 cup) whole milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon cane sugar

Mix together and heat in the microwave to desired temperature. I usually hit the beverage button - hasn't failed me yet. Since mine is usually cooled by the time I'm down to the last 1/4 of the mug, I can say that it would also be great over ice, as iced tea latte.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, kitchen scientist, on your recent experiment -- I will come back to this post later, once my concentrate runs out! I found an amazing deal at Cheep Foods -- one container of concentrate for 99cents! I had to get two! ;-) I'm am loving your recent posts -- your pictures are beautiful, and the food looks delicious. I will definitely have to try the cornbread topped hot dog dish! God bless!