Monday, March 2, 2009

Hot Dogs?

This morning, 2yo Graham found me to ask if we could have Hot Dogs for dinner. Hot Dogs? Where in the world did that idea originate! Hot Dogs are a rare meal at our house. When we lived in town, Hot Dogs were reserved for quick meals before rushing off to attend an NDSU Bison FB game. Since moving, we enjoy Hot Dogs at the game as a treat. Regardless, the last time Graham had a Hot Dog was probably back in November 2008.

Knowing I had Hot Dogs in the freezer, I decided to see what I could concoct with ingredients on hand. I found a recipe for Hot Dog Cornbread Casserole that sounded like it might fit our tastes. After reducing and eliminating different ingredients, I came up with the following recipe.






Cornbread Topped Hot Dog Casserole
Yield: 6 servings





Ingredients:
12 oz. Hot Dogs
1 (12oz.) can baked beans
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk

Optional ingredients:
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup chopped onion

1. Cut hot dogs into 1/2 inch pieces. Put in a 2 quart baking dish (I used a round 2 qt. baking dish) with beans, ketchup, water, mustard and worcestershire sauce.
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in medium bowl. Stir in cornmeal. Add egg and rest of ingredients. Stir just enough to combine.
3. Spread cornmeal mixture over top of the beans. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.



Recipe Review! The kids absolutely would eat this again. I found it a bit bland for my tastes; adding the optional ingredients may have helped.

No comments: