Friday, September 18, 2009

Loads of corn

I have never 'put up' this much corn in one year!  In fact, the amount put up in just this year probably tops what I've done in all my married years combined.  THANK goodness my sister was here last week to help with the last batches.  It would have been overwhelming for me alone.

1.  The first step is to clean the corn - basically de-silk and remove any damaged areas.  I wash in the right sink and transfer the cleaned cobs to the left sink/dish drain.



2. The kernals are cut off each cob.  I've found a sharp paring knife works best and is quickest for me.  I've tried other methods, but just prefer this.  I cut the kernals in a brownie pan and use a second pan to collect the 'cut' cobs.  The 'cut' cobs go into the compost pile.



3. I have a LOT of 'cut' cobs in the compost.  My compost has three sections, the cobs are dumped in the long term compost!  They'll take a while to decompose, but eventually I'll transfer them to the main pile.



4. One batch is comprised of 9 cups corn kernals, 3 cups water, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 Tbls. salt.  This mixture is brought to a boil, boiled for 15 minutes, then cooled.  I like to cool the blanched/cooked corn overnight and package it for freezing the next day.



5. My sister, Jules, and I made enough to create 8.5 to 9 batches, which we spread out between four pots.  One pot is already cooling in the frig.  Thank goodnes for a large cooktop.




6.  I was up early the next morning to package corn for freezing.  This is the first year I've frozen in 3 cup packages.  Our family is growing and the boys are eating more.  I also froze at least a dozen 2 cup packages to give to Jules - as a thank you for all the hard work!  I used the Food Saver, but you could use freezer bags.  You'll just need to use the corn more quickly.  I've found that the Food Saver preserves and protects from freezer burn for up to two/three years.  While nutritional content may not be as good the last year, flavor has not been an issue.





** I think this might become an annual event, because I cannot imagine doing this alone.  My kids just aren't quite old enough to do the cutting (they could probably wash/clean, but I'm picky about that task - I don't want to be picking out husk & silks from the cut kernals!).  Next year, I'll have to remind Jules to bring a cooler so she can take her portion home right away.

No comments: