Friday, September 18, 2009

Peppers - Green and Purple??

While Jules was visiting, she also took the kids over to Grandma Green Acres' garden to make sure all the produce was picked.  Grandma & Grandpa Green Acres have been on vacation and left the kids in charge of the garden.  I haven't made it over, so was very grateful Jules took on this task.  They picked raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes, and peppers. 

In our garden, they picked 13 zucchini - only one of which was still usable (the rest were quartered for composting) and tomatoes!!!  The tomatoes you see on the counter are from my sprawling tomato garden - and they are red.

The peppers were purple and green.  I haven't raised purple peppers before, but their flavor is very mild.  I cleaned and sliced all the purple peppers.  At the end, 9 bags of sliced purple peppers went into the freezer.  Of the green peppers, 3 were sliced and one was diced.  I used to blanche the peppers, but have since learned it's an unnecessary step. 



So, the raw peppers are bagged and Food Saver seals the bags for freezing.  Slick and easy.  Ready to go for a winter casserole or soup.  I do label and date the bags before freezing, BTW.


2 comments:

Laura said...

You don't have to blanch green peppers? Good to know. Do you have any tips on preserving zucchini? Do you blanch that -- does it matter (the blanching) with grated/shredded versus rounds?

Suzie L. said...

I usually just shred and seal with the food saver - in 2 cup packs (which is what most recipes request). I've never frozenthe rounds before, so I'm no help on that front. I'm not sure they'd hold up well, my advice would be to try a package and see if it works the way you want with your recipe.