Terrific Tuna Toasties
Serves 8, but easily doubled
8 hamburger or dollar buns, halved
1/2 cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1/4 small onion, diced
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can tuna (Sarah prefers tuna in water, so do I!)
2 cups crushed potato chips*
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a large cookie sheet with tin foil (easy clean-up!).
2. Dice veggies in food processor or by hand.
3. Put diced veggies, tuna, cheese and mayonnaise/Miracle Whip in a large bowl and mix.
4. Place bun halves on cookie sheet and top each with a spoonful of the tuna mixture.
5. Measure 2 cups of chips and put them into a Ziploc bag. Smash away!
6. Sprinkle chip crumbles on top of the tuna mixture on each bun. Sarah says to press the chip crumbs down good to get all the flavor!
7. Pop into the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
8. Eat and enjoy what you have made!!
9. To complete the lunch, Sarah added cut up apples and bananas. And of course, the remainder of the chips!
* Sarah used Cheddar Cheese Ripple potato chips. I really liked this extra flavor punch and bought a bag at the grocery store on my way home!
Here's a picture of my rendition of Sarah's Terrific Tuna Toasties. I didn't have buns on hand, so mine are made with slices of whole wheat bread. I also think they'd be excellent made with bagel or English muffin halves.