Family Rating: ***** ... and that's without ice cream!
Yield: 20 svgs.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (ingredients below)
Butter Pecan flavored Cake mix batter (3 eggs, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1 1/3 cups water)
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough* Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup water
1 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet)**
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix flour, salt & soda together. Set aside. Cream butter, sugar, water, egg and vanilla in another bowl for 3 minutes. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Mix chocolate chips into the dough.
3. Lightly spray a 13x9 inch pan (it's important that the pan be as least 2 inches deep) with cooking spray. Spread the Chocolate Chip Cookie dough in the pan.
4. Bake for about 12 minutes or until the edges start to brown lightly. The middle should NOT be completely baked. Remove from oven and set aside (if there's time!).
5. While the cookie bottom is baking, mix the cake batter according to directions on the box.
6. Pour the cake batter over the partially baked cookie dough. Spread evenly.
7. Bake for an additional 30-38 minutes. Keep an eye on the browning ... if it browns too quickly, place a foil tent over the pan.
8. The cake is done when a tester comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
9. Eat and thoroughly enjoy! It won't last long ...
Note: The KA blog recommends serving with a scoop of ice cream and chocolate syrup. I was out of ice cream and didn't need the chocolate syrup. STILL tasted yummy and the kids didn't talk a bit while eating their treat.
*I actually had to search through my cookbooks for an appropriate recipe. I usually don't make 'plain' chocolate chip cookies; I prefer an Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Recipe or a Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Recipe. Additionally, the two recipes I mentioned are huge! I didn't feel like baking cookies on top of making the cookie cake, so I looked for a smaller recipe, too.
**You could substitute regular sized semi-sweet chocolate chips, but the minis are really nice and distribute the chocolate throughout the batter in a more pleasing way.