Friday, February 19, 2010

Buckwheat Pancake Mix #2

Buckwheat Pancake Mix #2
Yield: 7.5 cups

Ingredients:
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
7/8 cups powdered eggs*
3/4 cup dry buttermilk powder
1 1/2 Tbls. baking powder
1/2 cup sugar

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with a whisk.  Store in an airtight container.  Can be kept in the pantry for about a month or in the refrigerator/freezer for 6 months. 

To Prepare:
1 cup buckwheat pancake mix #2
1/2 cup water
2 Tbls. melted butter

Stir the water and pancake mix together in a small bowl.  If batter is too thick, add a bit more water and stir again.  Drop approximately 1/4 cup onto hot skillet.  Makes 4 pancakes.  Double or triple as necessary.

*Can substitute 1/3 cup soy flour for the powdered eggs. 

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yum! I enjoy making my own pancake mix - I have never tried buckwheat flour - I'll have to give it a go! Also, subbing soy flour for powdered eggs? Do tell! I sub. ground flax and water for eggs - works great in cakes or pancakes (at least, recipes that aren't egg intensre. You couldn't make 'scrambled flax', for instance...;-))

Suzie L. said...

Mmmm, ground flax sounds like the healthier option! Omega 3 & 6, right??

The original recipe actually listed soy flour, but that is not something I have on hand. I do, however, have powdered eggs. I've never seen soy flour used as a sub for eggs before, so there's really not more I can share with you.

The buckwheat flour adds a great flavor to pancakes. Interesting tidbits: buckwheat is classified as a fruit and it is gluten free. I served ours with whipped cream and raspberry syrup. It was a TREAT!