Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Shrove Tuesday – King Cake

I found the recipe for King Cake at the King Arthur Flour Company website.  I haven’t ever made a special cake for Shrove Tuesday, not for lack of wishing and wanting!  This is the year my wish was made reality.  Food coloring are generally avoided in our household, mostly due to my sensitivity, but I just couldn’t resist making the cake ‘as it should be’ … colorful and completely festive.

 

Mixing the dough ingredients…

001 (7)

 

While the dough rises, I mixed up the cream cheese filling:

003 (6)

 

Preparing the dough … I formed the rectangle by hand:

004 (4)

 

I was distracted, so there is no picture of the filling being placed on the dough.  Fold the dough over the filling and transfer to a baking sheet:

005 (4)

 

While the dough rests and rises (about 1 hour), I colored the sugar.  The green and yellow turned out nice … can you tell the other is purple??

006 (4) 007 (4)

 

After baking, let the cake cool for about 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack:

008 (4)

 

After completely cool, frost the cake and decorate with colored sugar:

017 (2)

The purple looks better on the cake than on the blue plate.

 

 

Cake was enjoyed by all!

019 (2)

No comments: