Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cake Flour Substitute

 

5150042000

I remember my mom always having a box of Softasilk cake flour in the cupboard.  Those were the days when we didn’t have many boxed cake options and our Angel Food cake was always made from scratch.  For years, now, I’ve just bought the boxed mix for Angel Food cake, but that is about to change!  With our new-found supply of eggs, I am making an Angel Food cake from scratch (then I can test out the 12 egg-yolk cookie recipe, which I did eventually remember to search for and print out).

But, Angel Food Cake recipes always call for cake flour, which has a lower gluten content than other flours.  I do not keep cake flour on hand, so am going to try a substitution of 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted, plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch for every cup of cake flour called for in the recipe.

I have seen at least one review that said it didn’t work well for Angel Food Cake, but I am going to try it regardless.  I wonder if the flour was properly sifted before being added to the Angel Food Cake batter … I’ll wonder until I try it. 

Dash’s birthday is later this week, and for his celebration with family, I’m planning to make a Chocolate Angel Food cake.  I remember them as being very tasty served with whipped cream and berries!  I’ll post my Chocolate Angel Food cake recipe and a picture later, then you and I will both know if the cake flour substitute ‘works.’

No comments: