Monday, December 22, 2008

Pecan Rolls

I've been searching for a Pecan Shortbread cookie recipe for some time and have found quite a few (though I haven't had the time to bake any of them!). However, a friend made these Pecan Rolls for a Christmas Cookie exchange, and they do fill my yearning. They are very similar to Pecan Shortbread, but a little sweeter as they are rolled in powdered sugar after baking.

Pecan Rolls
Recipe From : K.G.
Yield: Approximately 3 dozen

1/2 pound butter
4 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup finely chopped pecans*

Mix together like pie dough. Roll between hands to make small logs. Bake 30 to 40 minutes at 325 degrees. Roll in powdered sugar while still warm.

Mine are a bit too big, but they still tastest great! I'll work on my technique . . .

Notes: K. G. notes that these are nice because you can put them quite close together while baking because they won't spread (just make sure you don't completely melt the butter, like me, or they will spread more than you want. Her Pecan Rolls were much more log shaped then my fat little logs!!). You can pretty much bake one batch on a cookie sheet at the same time!

* K.G. also suggested purchasing the pecans at Fleet Farm. She said their chopped pecans are more finely chopped than at other stores. I'll admit the pecans on and in her cookies looked beautiful and provided a very nice texture. I plan to add it to my Fleet Farm shopping list. For this recipe, I finely chopped the pecans with my Magic Bullet.

2 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

These seem very similar to those Mexican Tea Cakes, are they the same?

Suzie L. said...

I haven't ever made Mexican Tea Cakes, but I have tasted them. They do taste the similar - aren't both a kind of shorbread type recipe??