Monday, January 19, 2009

Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting




This is the yummy cake I made in the Mini-Cooking Session #2. This cake can be frozen whole or in pieces; whichever better suits your needs. I prefer to freeze it in pieces (that way I can go sneak one from the freezer without the kids knowing!). My husband's favorite flavor combination is chocolate and peanut butter, so he won't turn down any offer of this dessert and gives it a 5 star rating.

If you are experimenting with your main course, this dessert is a great "complaint preventer' because you can announce 'this dessert' will be served to whoever finishes up their main course without complaint. Most kids (especially mine) and husbands find that main courses taste better with this cake as the dessert. Yes, I am speaking from experience.

For fun, you can top it with a half (or a whole) mini peanut butter cup. Of course, if it's after supper you may want to forgo the extra sugar for the kids - my kids don't like to sleep after eating peanut butter cups, they'd rather run around the race-track they've made on our home's main floor. I also think shaved chocolate would look and taste great on top.

Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
Yield: Approximately 16 servings

Chocolate Cake:
1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
1 ½ Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa powder
1 1/3 cup Milk
½ cup Vegetable Oil
3 Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Frosting:
1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
½ cup Butter, softened
2 cups Powdered Sugar
¼ cup Milk
2 Teaspoons Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the cake ingredients and beat together until smooth. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray and pour in the cake batter. Bake for 40 minutes. Cake is done when center springs back at the touch and sides are just starting to pull away from the pan edge. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.

Frosting: Blend the peanut butter and butter. Add milk and vanilla; mix together. Add the powdered sugar and beat until frosting is fluffy. If the frosting seems too thick for your taste, add a bit more milk. Spread the frosting on thickly.

For Freezing: To freeze without cutting, flash freeze to set the frosting. Then, cover with plastic wrap and foil. Label and freeze the cake. Thaw completely to serve. To freeze in pieces, set the frosting in the frig. When set, cut into pieces (the size is your choice) and place in a covered container.

TIP: Some cakes, and especially brownies, are more easily cut with a plastic knife. I save a plastic knife in my baking drawer just for these occasions.

2 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

Wow, that looks soooo good!!! My family is exactly the same way, they will do just about anything for dessert. Probably because we don't have it that much!! My kids do the race track thing every night right before bed even without the sugar...why is that?

I like recipes from cake mixes!

Kimberly said...

Mmmm...if David wasn't counting WW points, I would be making this for him TONIGHT! He LOVES peanut butter and chocolate.

I saw what you said about the kale. I actually used 1/2 of the bunch of kale I bought in a soup--it was really good, and the kale didn't turn the broth green.

So I used the rest of the kale in the pork chop recipe...and it worked great. If you try it, let me know :-).

God Bless!