Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Cookware!

My mom & dad gave me new cookware for Christmas; and I've been impatiently waiting to try it out. It's so shiny & clean that I really don't want to get it dirty. However, cookware is no good if it isn't used. Hopefully this new set (Food Network brand purchased from Kohls.com) will last as long as my previous set.

The old set was purchased after I hosted a Pampered Chef party more than 10 years ago. The old set was Teflon coated and the Teflon was starting to get very scratched and pitted. Regardless, I was impressed with how the set held up over the many years of heavy use. The pieces used the most were the skillet, dutch oven, and 3.5 quart sauce pan. I plan to keep using the largest & smallest skillets, as well as two smaller sauce pans.

A few goals with the new set were to avoid Teflon and aluminum (I also own quite a few pieces of aluminum Calphalon). Finding a set of heavier cookware was also important. My sister did a bit of online research and helped my mom decide upon the Food Network™ Tri-Ply Stainless Steel line of cookware.

On Monday, we made grilled cheese sandwiches in the Sauteuse Pan. The browning was nice and even, and there wasn't any sticking, even though just a little butter was being used (Yes, butter. I do not like margarine & cooking sprays can leave a residue). This pan will serve as a skillet until I decide if I need a 'real' skillet.

Tuesday, I prepared Taco Soup in the Stock Pot. Now, I usually have to be so careful about burning when I'm reheating this particular soup. Today, reheating was easy. Three times I thought for sure I had neglected the pot long enough that I'd be 'recovering' my Taco Soup by pouring it into another pan. But, it didn't burn! I'm really starting to enjoy this new cookware.

No comments: