Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easy Pork Lo Mein

After Easter Sunday, I had pork tenderloin leftover. I had marinated half the tenderloin in Tamari soy, and planned to use any leftovers in a Chinese meal. Lo Mein is one of our family favorites, but my usual recipe has chinese cabbage - a special purchase. While I had to substitute on a few fresh seasonings and herbs, I had all the ingredients for this recipe on hand. It's quick,easy, and everyone liked the dish.

Easy Pork Lo Mein
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 lb. pork tenderloin
¼ cup Tamari soy sauce
3 garlic cloves (or substitute garlic powder, like me, if you don’t have fresh garlic available)
1 tsp. minced gingerroot (or substitute about ½ tsp. ginger powder – I didn’t have fresh!)
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
2 cups fresh snow peas (I used thawed, frozen snow peas)
1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced lengthwise
3 cups angel hair pasta
½ cup chicken broth
2 tsp. sesame oil

Directions:
1. Cut the tenderloin in half lengthwise and then cut into ¼ inch strips. Put slices in a large re-sealable bag. Add the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes to the pork. Seal and mix up the ingredients. Marinate for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.

2. In a large wok, stir-fry the pork for 4-5 minutes or until the pork is no longer pink. Add peas and red pepper strips. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in the pasta and chicken broth; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the sesame oil.

3. NOTE: I used leftover, soy-marinated pork tenderloin. It eliminated a few steps and cut down on preparation and cooking time quite a bit. I did marinate the meat again, because a tenderloin roast doesn’t have as much soy flavor packed into it when marinated whole. It was not too salty for my family to use the ¼ cup soy to marinate the strips.


P.S. I must be getting back to my old self, because I've been wanting to cook again!! I enjoy trying new recipes...

No comments: