Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fiesta Nacho Cheese Soup

I haven't been menu planning the last few weeks. I've been gone A LOT and this week just came on too fast. So, I told my Fargo friends that I'm 'flying by the seat of my pants for menu planning this week.' It has worked out okay so far ... thank goodness!

This recipe is one for which I always keep the necessary ingredients in the pantry. It's probably the most 'processed' meal/soup that I make, so consider yourself forewarned. However, it's one that every member of my family enjoys, and it can be prepared quickly. I can usually get two meals out of a batch; although that is becoming more of a stretch as the kids get older.



Fiesta Nacho Cheese Soup
Yield: 10 servings
Prep Time: I can prepare it in 30 minutes or slightly less

Ingredients:
8 oz. small shells, rings, or spaghettie broken into 1" pieces (I use whatever I have on hand that is similar in size - tonight I used medium shells)
10 3/4 oz. can Fiesta Cheese Soup
10 3/4 oz. can Cream of Chicken soup
10 oz. can Enchilada sauce
14.5 oz. can chicken broth
2 cups milk
3/4 cup cubed processed cheese spread (Velveeta - I often use 1 cup)
5 oz. can chicken, drained*
2 tsp. dried parsley
2 cups tortilla nacho chips (or as many as needed - 2 cups is less than we use - chips are a treat at our home)
4 oz. finely shredded cheddar cheese (I use what's on hand)

Directions:
Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside. In large saucepan over low heat, mix soups, enchilada sauce, chicken brother, milk and processed cheese. I like to heat this thoroughly. When heated, add the diced or canned chicken, pasta and parsely. Simmer 5 minutes over medium heat until heated through.



To Serve:
Our family crunches the chips into the bottom of our bowls and spoons the soup over the top. We garnish with the shredded cheese.



*I often use frozen diced chicken, leftover from a roasted chicken, or frozen diced chicken breast that I've prepared ahead of time for recipes such as this. Another way to 'cheat' on the chicken is to use the Oven Roasted Chicken Bite's from Schwan's. Pop them in the micro to reheat and then dice the bite's into 1/2" cubes or smaller. Schwan's really is my ticket to fast food out here in the boonies.


The label as Mexican may be a stretch, but it has Fiesta Nacho cheese soup!

1 comment:

Jamie Jo said...

yummmmmm!!

Did I already tell you that I love that header picture?

It's beautiful!
Can't wait to try this soup...I think we will next week!