Thursday, May 28, 2009

My favorite sandwich

My favorite sandwich - since childhood - is the Reuben Sandwich. Yes, the toasted Rye bread, corned beef, SAUERKRAUT, swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing make up my favorite sandwich. This fall, I decided to introduce my oldest two - Dash and Angelina to the flavor of the Rueben. I only gave them a quarter of a sandwich - wouldn't want to waste any. To my delight, and surprise, they liked it enough to want more!


Don't worry, I didn't even try it with my youngest two. I'm of the mind that some flavors, like sauerkraut, need a little maturity.

The Rueben Sandwich
Yield: 1 serving

Ingredients:
2 slices Rye bread*
3 thin slices corned beef (this varies with the cut and thickness of corned beef)
1 slice swiss cheese
1/4 cup sauerkraut
1-2 Tbl. Thousand Island dressing

1. On a small plate, melt the swiss cheese over the sliced corned beef in the microwave (about 25 seconds). While this is melting in the microwave, toast two slices of Rye bread in the toaster. I choose not to butter my bread, but you can if you prefer.

2. Slide the corned beef and melted cheese onto one slice of toasted Rye Bread.


3. Spread the sauerkraut over the top of the melted cheese.




4. Spread the Thousand Island dressing over top of the sauerkraut.


5. Cover with the second slice of toasted Rye bread, slice your sandwich and ENJOY!


*I prefer the dark Rye bread, but that wasn't available at the store where I shopped last week. So, I settled for the light. Still had good flavor, but the dark adds more in my opinion.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh...I LOVE Ruebens...you started me on a new craving!

Laura@Life,Faith,Home,School said...

YUM! I'm going to put these on my menu plan, as I'll be shopping this weekend. I also have a great recipe for a dark rye bread that I haven't made in a while, so maybe I'll have to get some rye flour as well. Isn't it so neat when the kids like what you like? It's a special thing to share, as goofy as it may seem -- it IS special! I agree!