Monday, May 11, 2009

Potato Pizza Bake with a Spicy Twist

Well, here I was again tonight doing the 'last minute supper dash'. I came up with Potato Pizza Bake. I had all the ingredients, except for Cheddar cheese soup. But, I did have Southwestern Style Pepper Jack soup. A quick substitute and the dish was into the oven with about 15-20 minutes of prep time.

BTW, I do have my menu plan done, but since Eric is out in the field trying to do as much as possible before an impending rainstorm, I figured steak probably wasn't a good choice for tonight. Besides, neither he nor I want to get caught grilling in the rain on our grass-less yard!


Potato Pizza Bake - Pepper Jack Style
Yield: 10-12 servings
Original Recipe From: Grandma Green Acres


Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef, browned
4 cups potatoes, thinly sliced
1 med. onion, chopped
1 can Southwestern Style Pepper Jack soup
1/2 soup can of milk
15 oz. can tomato sauce
3/4 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. sugar
salt & pepper to taste
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Brown beef. Place potatoes and onions in a large baking dish (7"x13") sprayed with cooking spray.



Spread meat over the top.




Mix cheese soup with milk until smooth. Add oregano and sugar. Pour soup mixture over the meat and potatoes -- DO NOT STIR.



Pour tomato sauce over all -- again, do not stir.




Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour*.
Remove cover and sprinkle cheeses over the top.



Return to the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.


*Since I was a little short on time, I increased the temp to 400 degrees and cut the baking time to 45 minutes.

NOTE: After tasting the Potato Pizza Bake with the Pepper Jack soup, I can think of no sane reason why I'd go back to the plain Cheddar Cheese soup! The flavor was great!! I also think Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup, which I keep in stock, would taste wonderful, too.

No comments: