Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Instant Hot Cocoa Mix


How about this print! The caption read, "Hot chocolate soon became a fashionable drink of the nobility after the discovery of the Americas."
The print is entitled The Morning Chocolate and was painted by Pietro Longhi of Venice.

Fashionable or not, hot cocoa fills a yearning for warmth during the cold winters in our part of the country. For some reason, my kids equate coming in from the cold with a trip to the kitchen for their cup of chocolate liquid warmth. It is the perfect end to every snowy playtime - if this expectation is not fulfilled, frowns abound.

INSTANT HOT COCOA MIX

2 – 21.8 oz. container Nestle chocolate Nesquik
6 oz. powdered creamer
8 qt. sized box powdered milk
½ cup powdered sugar (optional)

Mix all ingredients together and store in an air tight container. If you want the mix to keep fresh longer, store it in the freezer. This recipe filled a 1.5 gallon container.

To make a cup of hot cocoa, mix 1/3 cup of the dry mix with 8oz. of hot water. Stir and enjoy!

NOTE: For a fun twist, add a couple drops of peppermint extract or a small candy cane. My kids prefer a topping of miniature marshmallows. I've also added flavored (I like mint, but I've seen hazelnut and caramel) powdered creamer to a half batch.

3 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

OH, my kids are the same way! I want happy memories of playing outside and coming inside for that hot cocoa, they always sit and laugh and talk after being outside, as they sip their hot cocoa with their rosy cheeks!!

We use miniature marshmallows too!

Sally said...

We're at the bottom of our Swiss Miss! Thanks. (I have to ask - is that your new dining room in the header??)

Suzie L. said...

Yes, it is my dining room in the header. I've always wanted a formal dining room - and we do use it quite a bit! The built in cabinets are wonderful and I finally have room for all the dishes that were stored in the crawl space of our Fargo home. That's 10 years of wanting to use them, but no room to display or store them properly! Someday, I'll change it out and show the table in the kitchen where we do the bulk of our eating.